Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Food Craft: Hummus


I don't know about you, but packing for a trip makes me work up a hunger. I decided to whip up a quick batch of roasted red pepper hummus since I generally have all of the ingredients in my pantry. I lacked pita bread for dipping, but I like toasted corn chips just as well. Yum!


You will need:

1 can (15.5oz.) of Cannellini beans, rinsed thoroughly (chickpeas are the traditional, but I think it mixes up smoother with cannellini's, and it's what I had in the cupboard)
1-2 cloves of garlic (depending how much you like garlic)
1-2 Tablespoons of tahini (sesame seed paste)*
1/4 cup of roasted red peppers (I use the ones you can buy in a jar already roasted)
extra virgin olive oil (enough to get the consistency you want, I used a couple Tablespoons)

*If you do not have (or can not find) tahini, I have used peanut butter before in a pinch. I'm sure almond butter, etc. would also be fine.

Place all of the ingredients (except the olive oil) into a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times to see what the texture is like, then begin adding your olive oil in a slow drizzle until you reach your desired consistency.

Place into a bowl and serve with chips, crackers, or warm pita bread. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment